Bimbadgen Shiraz Poached Pears with Gluhwein Ice-Cream
4 Pears (peeled)
1 bottle Bimbadgen Estate Shiraz
1 stick Cinnamon
2 Star anise
1 tsp grated Nutmeg
½ cup sugar
12 x Dariole moulds
Electric mixer / hand beater
1. Place all ingredients into a pot and bring up the heat to a gentle simmer.
2. The pears are cooked when you can just pierce them with a skewer with no resistance. This could take anywhere between 30mins and an hour and a half depending on the size of the pears or strength of your burner.
3. Allow the pears to cool in the syrup as the spices will continue to develop flavour and the pears will absorb this.
300ml double cream/pure cream
600ml full cream milk
5 egg yolks (free range)
1 vanilla pods (scraped)
Left over poaching liquid from the pears
Ice Cream Churner
1. Remove the pears from the poaching liquid and strain the liquid into a pot. Reduce the liquid to a syrup approximately 1/10th of its original volume, set aside.
2. Bring the milk and cream to the boil with ½ the sugar and the vanilla
3. Whisk together the egg yolks, glucose and the remaining sugar
4. Pour some of the boiled cream mixture into the whisked eggs and sugar, whilst stirring constantly. Then carefully pour this mixture BACK into the rest of the cream mixture in the pot whilst stirring constantly, reduce the heat and stir the mix until it thickens slightly. This is the eggs beginning to coagulate and will occur at 68 degrees, use a thermometer to measure this if you are unsure.
5. Add some of the pear syrup to this mixture to flavour it. Taste the mixture with a spoon and add more if you think it needs extra flavour.
6. If you can, allow the mixture to cool and rest overnight before churning in an ice cream machine.
Esca Bimbadgen Winery Restaurant
P; 02 4998 4666
Open 7 days for lunch 12pm – 4pm.
Dinner Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights from 6pm.
High Tea 7 days - 3pm to 5pm.
Located within Bimbadgen Winery – 790 McDonalds Road, Pokolbin NSW 2320.