Confit salmon,orange, pea sponge, pea and prosciutto - Serves 4
Match with Bimbadgen Signature 2012 Chardonnay
4 x Salmon portions
(roughly 130g each)
400ml extra virgin olive oil
1 med lemon (rind only)
1 tsp fennel seed
1 tsp pepper corn
3 med bay leaves
1 sprig thyme
- Place all the ingredients except the salmon into a medium sized saucepan (one large enough to accommodate all the fish) and place on the stove at a low heat (55 – 60 degrees) and infuse for 15 to 20 min
- Remove from the heat and place to one side until you are ready to cook the fish.
- Pre heat oven to 180°C.
- Blend the peas with the egg yolks until smooth and as free of lumps as possible.
- Sift the flour into the pea mix and stir until well incorporated.
- Whip the egg whites till stiff peaks and fold into the pea mixture.
- Place the mixture into small well greased baking tray and place in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Test by sticking a toothpick into the center of the sponge and removing it, it should come out clean if not place back in the oven for a further 5 min and repeat the test.
4 x large strips of thin prosciutto
- Pre heat the oven to 110°C.
- Place the strips on an oven tray covered with non-stick spray.
- Place in the oven for 20 min, or until they have gone darker and dried out well.
- Remove and allow to cool.
- Place the pot of infused oil back onto the stove and bring between 55 and 60 degrees
- Once the oil has reached this temperature place the pieces of fish into the oil and allow to slowly confit for 10 to 15 minutes depending how well cooked you prefer your fish
- To check remove the fish and take a peak to see how well it has been cooked.
- Remove from the oil and allow to drain on kitchen towel.
- Tear the sponge into pieces and arrange on the plate along with the orange, peas, cucumber and the piece of salmon, place the prosciutto crisp on top of the salmon. Serve and enjoy!
Esca Bimbadgen Winery Restaurant
P; 02 4998 4666
Open 7 days for lunch 12pm – 4pm.
Dinner Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights from 6pm.
High Tea 7 days - 3pm to 5pm.
Located within Bimbadgen Winery – 790 McDonalds Road, Pokolbin NSW 2320.